To begin the story at the beginning, read "Part 1: Post 1: Beginning Again," published in January, 2013. To consult a description of the campus, read "Part 1: Post 14: The Greening of Campus," published in March, 2013.

Monday, January 28, 2019

Mastery Year 2: Interlude 8

Hi, all, Daniel-of-2019, here.

I had a dream about Charlie the other night. It was “unrealistic,” as dreams tend to be, and all jumbled up, but I was glad to have it. We were all at the school again, only it was a fantasy-magic school, like Hogwarts, and we were all in some basement catacomb trying to open a magic box or treasure chest rumored to have killed anybody who looked inside it, the Nazis melted in Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Anyway, everybody had their own ideas for how they could open the chest safely, and they were all expounding on their ideas at once, everybody talking and nobody listening, except then I noticed Charlie wasn’t talking, he was just standing off to the side with a very dubious look on his face. He got up and went to leave. I met him at the door and told him and said “I’m glad you’re going to survive. I may step out, too.” And we hugged each other for a very long time and then I woke up.

Into the dark of my bedroom I spoke, saying “I guess I did step out of that dream,” and June mumbled and shifted in her sleep.

I had not dreamed of Charlie in a long time—I do not dream on him often, and in fact I seldom dream about anybody I actually know. It felt like spending time with him. I do not know what, if anything, it means.

As usual, I meet the upcoming holiday (Brigid) disorganized. I didn’t manage to get in a post that really expressed the feeling of anticipation in the last days of January, 2009, just before I began my last year as a student. It wasn’t a particularly unusual January, all told, but I never spent very many Januaries on campus, and for most of them I was rather preoccupied by my own situation and so did not take much notice of the mood on campus. But that last January I much more sat back and watched—yearlings milling about, finishing up their year-and-a-day of zazen meditation and group therapy and unsure what might happen next; senior students returning from weeks or months off-campus and greeting friends, re-entering the odd and oddly-familiar world of the school; graduating novices disappearing into the Ordeal and the magic trick of nobody else noticing; the return of the faculty, totally unannounced and then you’d bump into one of them. The whole place had an aura of waiting, of quickening, of looking forward to the not-quite-known.

Not that I had no feelings of my own, and not that I wasn’t busy. I conducted my first several interviews, lined up several others, and in general started acting on my plan for my last year in a serious way.

And twice I tried to sneak up on Charlie and twice failed.

-best, D.

No comments:

Post a Comment