To begin the story at the beginning, read "Part 1: Post 1: Beginning Again," published in January, 2013. To consult a description of the campus, read "Part 1: Post 14: The Greening of Campus," published in March, 2013.

Monday, May 21, 2018

Mastery Year 2: Part 3: Post 4: Time

They're ba-ack!

The yearlings, I mean. They spent two weeks on the Island, as they do every year, bonding and learning about the place. I suppose it's our equivalent of the freshman orientation trips a lot of colleges do, except we wait a couple of months to give them time to get properly...indoctrinated...first.

That doesn't sound right. Seriously, every time I try to talk about our process of creating a campus culture I end up making it sound like some nefarious cult. It isn't like that. It's just that people come here because they want to live in a certain type of community and be a certain type of person, and that doesn't happen by accident.

Anyway.

The masters were gone, too, all except Greg, who took the opportunity to sleep a lot, and the campus seemed strange without them. They each teach on the Island for a day or three, and spend the rest of their time there on vacation.

I did not go, though I've helped Charlie teach his segment in years past. I wasn't prohibited from going, like I was last year, and in fact I had intended to go, but then the list of workshops I was supposed to teach on campus simply got too long and I ended up not even asking. Plus, Steve is supposed to be my student and clearly couldn't be left to his own devices (since he isn't very motivated at present), and June is going to be working hard to get ready for the children's camp all next month, so I wanted to spend time with her now, while she still has time to spend with me.

Is this what being a master is going to be like? Or do I get more control of my schedule again later, somehow?

No comments:

Post a Comment