To begin the story at the beginning, read "Part 1: Post 1: Beginning Again," published in January, 2013. To consult a description of the campus, read "Part 1: Post 14: The Greening of Campus," published in March, 2013.

Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Mastery Year 2: Part I: Post 2: Reacquaintance

The beginning of a new year is always an interesting time, here. There are new people to meet, and the various versions of astonishment and confusion to watch—and the days after Brigid always remind me of my own first days, and also every subsequent year of being thus reminded, an ever-complexifying echo chamber of self-reflection.

Have I really been part of this community for eight years, now?

June has moved into my room. We discussed the possibility of my moving into hers, but the reality is I don’t just live in a room. I also live in, and belong to, a dorm, and I don’t belong to her dorm. Dorm membership isn’t a huge part of the program here, but it is part of it, and since I’m still a student and she’s not, it makes sense for me to stay in my dorm. It does feel strange to have a room-mate all of a sudden.

She has also just returned from a few days at her parents’ house. Usually, parents come pick up graduating students at the reception the morning after graduation, and while June isn’t leaving, her home is with me, we all thought it was better for her to leave campus as a student before returning as an ally, plus she hadn’t spent a lot of time with her parents in a while.

There are forty-one new yearlings, now, a big class. I haven’t really spoken to any of them yet, at least not in a more than incidental way. I did have dinner with Steve Bees last week, while June was away, to welcome him back. We’re in the same dorm, but we took our plates downstairs to eat at the little table by the window next to the library. From there we could look out on a world white with snow.

So, how was the real world?” I asked, joking.
You know,” he told me, “this world feels like the real one. The outside...it’s like I don’t quite believe in it anymore.”

I told him I knew exactly what he meant.

So, what did you do this past year?” he asked. We had talked a few times by phone or email during our Absence, but we hadn’t ever really caught up, and of course after I came back we could have no contact at all.
Same-old, same-old,” I replied, casually. “I taught some classes, went hiking a lot, got married….”

As intended, my deadpan delivery made him come very near to spitting his drink across the table.

Oh, wow!” he exclaimed, when he had swallowed. “Who’s the lucky lady?”

So, I told him all about June and about our year together and our plans going forward.

What about you?” I asked.
I passed the bar exam, got a job, and, um….” he showed me the wedding ring on his finger.
Congratulations!” I told him. “I’m sorry I couldn’t be there.”
Likewise.”
Ollie’s married, too. When I got engaged, I thought I’d be the first, but everybody’s getting hitched.”
Sorry to steal your thunder, man,” Steve offered, “but that’s not the half of it. We’re expecting.”
No kidding! When?”
Any day, now.”
Then what are you doing here?”
Steve laughed.
We don’t live that far away. When I get the call, I’ll meet her at the hospital.” He showed me his cell phone. “Anyway, I was there at the beginning of the pregnancy, so it’s probably ok if I’m not there at the end, too, right?”

My turn to laugh. The joke bordered on the ribald in a way I didn’t remember Steve doing much, but I suppose four years (and law school and marriage and impending fatherhood) might change a person. Come to think of it, though, something else about Steve seems different, too. I don’t remember him joking very much, but he seemed always to be smiling. Now...it took me a while to put my finger on it, but the difference is that he doesn’t smile if he doesn’t have a clear, obvious reason.

He seems tired, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment